Citrus Cookies: Pinwheel Cookies Recipe
Who can resist pinwheel cookies?
These citrus cookies play music in your mouth and the colorful, lollipop like swirl will make you feel like a kid again at a carnival. Two multi-colored swirls intertwining on the outside, two citrus flavors on the inside.
Icebox cookies are very tasty and the dough can be stored for up to a month in the freezer or for a week in the fridge. Make them fresh or bring the dough out for baking whenever you have guests over or wish to surprise someone with a delicious batch. Or perhaps you just want to bake a batch for yourself (I recommend this!)
I love cookies and citrus cookies, of any kind, or cake, cheesecake for that matter are so addictive. Not a heavy flavor like chocolate but with a powerful punch.
Pinwheels are fun to make and everyone will ask how you made the swirl look. You will say it's magic, but we know better. Here's how...
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 drops of yellow food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 3 drops of red food coloring
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until creamy.
- Add the vanilla and egg yolk, beating until just blended
- Mix in the dry ingredients until smooth in texture.
- Douse four sheets of waxed paper with confectioners' sugar.
- Divide the dough into four parts and place each on a piece of waxed paper.
- Roll out one dough portion to a 12x6-inch rectangle
- Knead the lemon extract and yellow food coloring into the second ball of dough until well blended.Roll out the yellow dough to the same sized rectangle as the plain dough.
- Invert the yellow dough and place on top of the plain dough with wax paper facing up, peel off the paper.
- Roll the dough from the long side tightly to form a roll. Then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Repeat process with the remaining two portions using the redfood coloring and orange extract.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice the dough into 1/4 thick disks and plaec 1 inch apart onto two different cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned, rotate the sheets halfway throughthe process.
- Cool on sheets until firm slightly.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool further.
- Reuse cookie sheets (unless you have more until all cookies are done.
Citrus Cookies to Gourmet Cookies Recipes
Other Cookies Recipes
Lemon Cheesecake Recipe