Cupcake Decorating Techniques:
...and frosting recipes too
Looking for tips on cupcake decorating techniques?
Well, drum roll please...
We've invited special guest Leigh Wyryha from
to be a part of our website on a regular basis. This page is dedicated to many of her wonderful ideas on how to decorate cupcakes. What first started as a hobby of baking cakes and cupcakes for friends and family back in British Columbia, Canada turned into her own full time bakery!
Leigh has a passion for baking and is here to share her elaborate cupcake decorating techniques as well as delicious cakes and cupcakes recipes for all occasions, especially the holidays. Just wait until you get the chance to see all the different cupcake and frosting recipes. More are on there way! Welcome Leigh!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Great for Valentines Day. For a romantic gift packaging idea place one or two in a white box and tie off with a red ribbon. Simple but sweet!
- 2 1/2 cups of flower
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla and red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix in sour cream, milk, food coloring, and vanilla. (I would only add a few drops of red food coloring, just enough to get a nice red color in the batter. Then gradually mix in the flour until just blended, don’t over mix.)
- Spoon batter into muffin paper-lined muffin cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
Here's the cupcake frosting recipe to go with the Red Velvet Cupcakes.
- 1 8 ounce package of cream cheese
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 16 oz of confectioners’ sugar (icing sugar)
- Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar. Spread over top of cooled cupcakes and serve. (I like to garnish mine with shaved chocolate.)
Strawberry Marshmallow Frosting
Here's another tasty cupcake frosting recipe that goes great with chocolate cupcakes to use with your cupcake decorating techniques.
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 2/3 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of light corn syrup
- 4 eggs whites
- 1 package of strawberry flavored gelatin
- red food coloring, if desired
More Cupcakes by Leigh Wyryha of Easy-Cake-Decorating.com
- Have 4 egg whites sitting in a small glass bowl within reach and ready to use.
- In a small saucepan stir together sugar, water and corn syrup. Bring to a boil and cook to 240 degrees F, or use the water test by dropping a small amount of mixture into a cold cup of water and it should turn into tiny strands.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in your strawberry gelatin. Set aside.
- Whip egg whites in the small glass bowl until soft peaks form. Slowly pour the sugar mixture into the egg whites while continuing to whip until stiff glossy peaks.
- Cover cupcakes as desired!
Valentines Cupcakes Interview with Leigh Wyryha
Cupcake Decorating Techniques to Easy-Cake-Decorating.com
Cupcakes for Kids