Lemon pie great summer treat. Who would YOU like to put in the summer mood?
Lemon Pie will put anyone in the mood for summer. Here in Florida we have lemons and oranges all around. Bring a little Florida to someone special
in your life. Congratulate friends on their new summer home, or send your son's third grade teacher a summertime surprise. Grandma may want to relax out on the back patio under the umbrella with a slice of this zesty pie.
There are many versions of lemon pie, but here you can try lemon meringue or the key lime pie recipe. Make sure they have a tall, ice cold glass of tea or some other beverage to compliment this deluxe citrus pleasure.
Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar or less to make more tart
- 1/2 cup Cornstarch
- 4 Egg yokes, use egg separator
- 2-3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup freshly strained lemon juice
- Dash Salt
- 9” prepared pie crust
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel (called lemon zest)
The yokes are for the pie and the whites for the meringue. Choose bigger eggs.
**Add several thin slices of lemon on top of finished pie to enhance visual appeal.
Pie Filling Directions
- Combine the sugar, flour, salt and water in a heavy saucepan over a medium-high heat. Stirring constantly, bring this mixture to a boil. Once it reaches a boil stir vigorously for 1 minute.
- Remove mixture from heat.
- In a separate bowl slightly beat the egg yolks with a fork.
- Put about half the boiled mixture in the bowl with the egg yolks.
- Then put entire mixture back into the saucepan and cook for 1 about more minute, stirring vigorously.
- Remove from heat, and add the butter.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Pour into 9-inch pie crust.
- 4 Egg whites, room temperature, same eggs used for yokes
- 5 Tablespoons Sugar, the amount is a matter of taste.
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon Cream of tartar
- Put the egg whites in a large bowl and beat them at high speed with an electric mixer
until soft peaks start to form.
- Gradually add sugar, creme of tarter and when the peaks are nicely formed add the vanilla.
- Scoop on top of the lemon pie filling, making sure to cover the edges.
- Bake 350-375°F for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Chill for at least a couple hours before serving.
- Garnish with some Lemon zest and serve to friends and family.
Key Lime Pie
If you'd like a stronger citrus taste try this easy recipe.
- 1 (10 inch) pie crust, baked and cooled
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
In a large bowl, mix together lime rind, lime juice, and condensed milk. Whisk in pudding mix and allow to set for up to 5 minutes.
Fold in 8 ounce tub of whipped topping. Pour mixture into pastry shell. Chill at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish with additional
whipped topping if desired and zest.
**Add about 3 drops of green food coloring to add more visual appeal.
Lemon Pie to Home Page