Puppy Party Favors: Rice Crispy Treats
Puppy Party Favors made out of Rice Crispy Treats are perfect for kids parties.
They're simple, but tasty. The kids love 'em and so do the parents. Shaped like puppy paws, dog bones and puppies these treats are filled with yummy flavor. Covered in white and milk chocolate, crushed oreos and mixed with M&Ms these treats will be the talk of the party. They are the ultimate in tricked out rice crispy treats, just check out the pictures.
A co-worker asked me to make some for son Gavin's first birthday party. Many kids, and parents, took several party favors home with them.
My friend from work was pleased and many of the adult attendees secretly told me they tried them and loved 'em. Hey, everyone's a kid at heart.
So learn how I did it below...
How to Make Chocolate Covered Puppy Party Favors
Rice Crispy Treats with Crushed Oreo
Ingredients for Making Puppy Party Favors:
- 6 Cups Frosted Crisped Rice Cereal
- 3 Tablespoons of Butter (sticks)
- 1 Bag of Mini Marshmallows (10 oz bag) (*this time I added 1 more cup)
- 1 Cup M&Ms®
Supplies for Making Puppy Puppy Party Favors:
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Large Sauce Pot
- Wooden Spoon or Plastic Spoon
- Cooking Spray
- Large Cookie Sheet
- Puppy Cookie Cutter Set (bone, paw, puppy)
- Rubber Mallet
Ingredients for Decorating Puppy Party Favors
- 7-10 Oreo® Cookies (crushed)
- 1 Package of Merckens® or Wilton's ®White Chocolate Coating Wafers (12 oz
- 1 Package of Merckens® or Wilton's ®Milk Chocolate Coating Wafers (12 oz
- Brown Colored Sugar Crystals (or homemade version)
- White Decorating Sugar Crystals
Supplies for Decorating Puppy Party Favors:
- Medium or Large Sauce Squeeze Bottles (one per color)
- Double Boiler or 2 Small Microwaveable Bowls (one per color)
- Rubber Spatula
- Large Pot (filled 1/4 the way up with water)
- 1 Sealable Sandwich Bag
- (optional if not using double boiler) 2 Large Sealable Plastic Bags
Directions for Making Treats
1. Spray cookie sheet with cooking oil and set aside. Measure and set cereal in large mixing bowl and set aside.
2. Melt butter in sauce pot on low heat. Once starts to melt add package of marshmallows and raise to medium heat. Stir with wooden spoon or plastic spoon. For the Puppy Treats I wanted extra marshmallos flavor and to create treats that were more moist, so I added an additional cup of marshmallows.
3. Once completely melted and in liquid form remove from heat.
4. Pour marshmallow mix from sauce pot into cereal in large bowl. Spray wooden spoon with cooking oil and stir well. Add a small amount of the M&Ms® then stir. Do this several times until the candy is used up.
5. Press mix into cookie sheet then place in refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes to harden faster. This step will also make it easier to shape the
treats with the cookie cutter.
6. Remove from refrigerator and press cookie cutter into mix. Use left over mix to press into cookie cutter in order to top off treats. Stuff as
much mix into the cookie cutter for each rice crispy treat. The fuller the treat, the easier it will be to cover in chocolate and the more
uniform each treat will be. Set treats on tray and keep aside for the time being.
Preparing Chocolate to Decorate
7. Now it's time to melt the chocolate. Try this new microwave technique to melt the chocolate I just started using. Choose one color at a time and empy entire package of chocolate wafers into large sealable plastic bag. Leave bag open and place in microwave. On 50% power warm chocolate for 1 minute.
Remove and work the bag with your fingers until soft and liquid. If soft and liquid go to next step, if not, place back in microwave for another 15 seconds and repeat this step until chocolate is liquid.(Make sure to reset power each time.)
8. Now it's time to transfer the chocolate into the squeeze bottles. Cut off one corner of the bag (face the corner up towards the ceiling as you cut it or it will pour out). Stick the opened corner into the squeeze
bottle and squeeze out chocolate into bottle. Place the cap on the bottle and place into a pot filled half way with warm water. Keep pot on burner and warm it on low heat,
not high heat or you will burn chocolate. Should be warm NOT hot. Without this step the chocolate would just dry up in the bottle.
Repeat entire melting and transfer steps for each color before proceeding to next decorating step.
TIP: If you have a separate, individual burner it will be easier to decorate since you could keep it closer to your work area. If you do this then make sure to place it on a non-flameable, hard surface. I used a cutting board underneath mine.
Chocolate Decorating Techniques for Treats
This is a new technique I've developed to decorate both my rice crispy treats and sugar cookies. You will squeeze chocolate onto the treats, tap the treats to flatten the chocolate, add colored sugars and crushed Oreo cookies to wet chocolate, as weel as create borders with chocolate. You will utilize these different techniques in a sequence of steps in order to add the sugars and Oreos to specific areas. You will also be altering the different types of chocolates.
First, we must crush the Oreos. Place 3 cookies side-by-side in sandwich bag, close and place on cutting board. Softly pound cookies with rubber mallet until completely pulverized. You could use blender or food processor, but why give yourself more to clean up? Place the cookies in a small bowl and keep close by for decorating steps.
Technique #1: Outline and Fill
You create an outline shape with the squeeze bottle, like this inner dog bone you see below.
Let it dry for a few seconds. Then fill it in with chocolate.
Technique #2: Crushed Oreos and Decorative Sugars on Wet Chocolate
To create different texture elements you can add crused cookies or candy, in this case Oreo cookies, as well as colored sugars to your chocolate. You must have the Oreos and sugars ready and close by.
In this example, I created the toes of the puppy paws with white chocolate (below).
(Below)Cover wet chocolate immediately with crushed Oreos or colored sugars and let stand for a few mintues. Do NOT let chocolate set or it will harden and you will not be able to add toppings.
After chocolate dries, lift treat and turn upside down. Lightly shake off excess sugar or crushed Oreos.
Technique 3: Fill in Space with Chocolate
To fill in space around details of treats it's easier to do the details first like you see above, then fill in the space like below around toes.
You could also fill the space with a different color sugar or alter it with the crushed Oreo if you had first applied a colored sugar. Look at the bottom Dog Bones in the picture below with the inner part of the bones covered in Oreos and the outer part decorated with large white sugar crystals.
Technique 4: Create Borders
Borders create neatness and a nice clean look. You don't have to use borders, in fact, you could alter treats between borders and no borders.
Check out the border below on the Puppy shaped treat.
More Puppy Party Favors Rice Crispy Treats
Check out the different party favors. I've altered some of the colors, added crushed Oreos to some and brown colored decorative sugar to others. On some of the bones I've written the birthday boy's name.
Packaging Puppy Party Favors
Cellophane bags are the preferred way to package Rice Crispy Treats. Cellophane will not affect the taste of the treat and they are FDA approved according to my research to be used with food.
Place stickers on them and tie off with a decorative ribbon or twist ties. Check out these Puppy Party Favors that I made for the Gavin's First Birthday.
Puppy Party Favors to Deluxe Sweets and Candy Gifts Home