Strawberry ice cream I am a fan of, just not the fruit itself. The ice cream is yummy, especially with fresh pieces of strawberry inside the batch. This version is creamier because of the eggs yolks and if you want even creamier with a richer flavor than substitute half-and-half cream with heavy cream. Again this recipe is meant for an ice cream maker, specifically an electric machine. I love my Cuisinart 30 BC, but there are other good ice cream makers too.
Directions for Creamy Strawberry Ice Cream
1.Make strawberry puree. Process 2 cups of defrosted frozen strawberries, 2 teaspoons of lime juice and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a food processor. Pour into small bowl then place in refrigerator to chill.
2. Beat eggs. Whisk eggs and sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Heat cream mixture. Heat the half and half in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until starts to steam and bubble on sides of pan.
4. Combine eggs and cream mixture. Slowly add and whisk the cream mixture into the egg mixture. Keep whisking the entire time. You do not want lumps. If any form strain the mix before the next step.
5. Complete custard base. Pour mixture into the top of a double boiler. Fill the pot with a tiny bit of water and heat to a simmer constantly stirring with a wooden spoon. (Do NOT use metal spoon as it could heat up and change the texture of the eggs.)
-TIP: If you do not have a double boiler than just use a medium saucepan but do NOT over heat cream, just enough to coat the back of the wooden spoon. If the custard does not slide right off then it is ready.
6. Add vanilla and puree. If the custard is ready remove from heat right away and keep stirring for a few minutes to allow it to cool. Stir in the vanilla extract and strawberry puree. Cover and set aside. Allow to drop to room temperature.
7. Chill custard. Store custard in the refrigerator until chilled, usually 3-6 hours but I prefer to keep it overnight.
8. Freeze custard in ice cream maker. Remove from fridge and pour into your ice cream maker freezer bowl and freeze according to its instructions. Usually it should take 20-25 minutes to freeze completely. The ice cream will thicken and expand within minutes.
9. Store ice cream in airtight container. Scoop out the ice cream into an airtight plastic container and keep in freezer. Upon serving if too hard sit in refrigerator until reaches your preferred softness. Do NOT cool and freeze multiple times or ice crystals will begin to form on surface which ruins the texture and taste.
Makes about 4 cups and keeps about 2 weeks.
25+ Chocolate Recipes Ebook: Truffles, Brownies, Fudge, Cake