Chocolate Valentines Caramel Apples: Edible Pieces of Art
Want learn to make Chocolate Valentines Caramel Apples for someone special?
Make their heart skip a beat. Caramel and chocolate apples are a true gourmet treat that will dazzle your sweetheart
and make them grin from ear to ear.
You can buy these online and I would highly recommend Shari's Berries at www.berries.com, their site is amazing with both appetizing
chocolate covered strawberries and apples or learn to make them yourself. You can
do it, it's not that hard. Use your creativity to make all kinds of caramel apples in the future.
I decorated this batch with colored white chocolate and colored sugars.
You could add other decorations or toppings. See the techniques I used
to make it happen.
How to Make Chocolate Valentines Caramel Apples
I. Ingredients for Covering Chocolate Valentines Caramel Apples
- 5 Medium Sized Granny Smith Apples
- 1 Bag of Caramel Candies
- 2 Bags of Semi-Sweet or Milk Chocolate Chips
Supplies for Covering Chocolate Valentines Caramel Apples
- Double Boiler
- Medium-Sized Sauce Pot
- Large Metal Spoon
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Rubber Spatula
- (optional) Small Deep Mixing Bowl
II. Ingredients for Decorating Chocolate Valentines Caramel Apples
- Colored Sugars (red, pink, purple)
- Colored White Chocolate Wafers(red, pink, purple)
(***or just white chocolate wafers and candy coloring***)
Supplies for Decorating Chocolate Valentines Caramel Apples
- 5 Lollipop Sticks, Popsicle or Wooden Corn on the Cob Skewers
- Baking Sheet
- Wax Paper
- Cooking Spray
- 3 Medium-Sized Squeeze Bottles
- 3 Large Sealable Plastic Bags
5 Medium Green Apples with Wooden Sticks
1. Cover Baking Sheet with Wax Paper and Warm Up Water. Then spray sheet with cooking spray and set aside. Fill large pot half way with water and place on low heat on stove.
2. Wash then Dry Apples: Medium-sized apples work best with your Valentines Caramel Apples. Do use too big or no one will finish them and you will not have enough chocolate to finish. Do not use too small or they will not look as appetizing. Washing the apples will remove wax coating and allow the caramel to stick more easily. Place stick into each apple. Then set apple on baking sheet.
Package of Caramel Candies for Chocolate Valentines Caramel Apples
Caramel Candies in Sauce Pot
2. Melt Caramel Candies: Use medium sauce pot and melt using medium low heat. Drop in 2 tablespoons of water. Do NOT burn caramel by raising the heat too fast. Stir constantly until completely liquid.
Dip Apples in Caramel
3. Dip Apples into Melted Caramel: Cover completely. Use metal spoon to add more on top if needed. Once covered twirl apple around inside sauce pot to remove excess caramel and to allow the caramel to flow down sides.
4. Set apples on baking sheet.
Chocolate Wafers or Chips in Double Boiler
5. Melt Semi-Sweet or Milk Chocolate Wafers/Chips: Only add about 1/4 inch of water to bottom pot of double boiler. Use low heat. Do NOT raise heat too fast or you will burn chocolate. Chocolate will start to show signs of melting. Start stirring until becomes completely liquid. Wait until chocolate is runny. Dip spoon in chocolate and let it run down spoon to determine if it has the right consistency. Then pour into deep small mixing bowl or in this case the glass measuring cup.
TIP: If you use more than one bag of chocolate to fill top pot of double boiler then you could just dip the apples right into it without using the extra bowl.
Dip Apple into Melted Chocolate Wafers
6. Dip Apples into Melted Chocolate: Completely cover and use metal spoon to add more on top.
Twirl Chocolate Covered Apple in Bowl
7. Twirl Apple to Remove Excess Chocolate: Use large mixing bowl to catch the splattered streaks of chocolate. Just like the caramel, allow the chocolate to flow down the sides of apple. Use rubber spatula to remove more chocolate from bottom. Place the apple on prepared baking sheet.
TIP: If you would like to add colored sugar now is the time to spoon it on while the chocolate is still melted. Spoon it on over a saucer plate.
Red Chocolate Wafers in Plastic Bag
8. Put Colored White Chocolate Wafers into Plastic Bag: Leave bag open and place in microwave. On 50% power heat for one minute. Remove bag and squish together with fingers to make liquidy. Melt for another 15 seconds on 50% power if still not runny.
Melted Red Chocolate Wafers in Plastic Bag
Melted Red Chocolate into Squeeze Bottle
9. Transfer Melted Chocolate into Squeeze Bottle: Remove cap of bottle and stand up on counter. Cut one corner of bag about 1/4 inch of way up then place that corner into squeeze bottle. Slowly work your hands down bag starting from top to bottom squeezing chocolate out of bag and into bottle. Repeat process for other two colors of chocolate.
Chocolate Squeeze Bottles in Pot of Water
10. Place Bottles in Pot of Warm Water: This is to keep chocolate melted or else it will harden very fast.
11. Set Colored Sugars Next to Work Area or Create the Sugars: You can create your own colored sugars. Use turbinado sugar since the crystals are bigger. Place sugar in small sealable plastic bag. Then add a few drops of food coloring. Work sugar in bag with your fingers until color is completely spread throughout the sugar. I prefer to use gel food coloring as opposed to liquid water based food coloring. The colors come out brighter.
Pipe Chocolate Outline
12. Start Adding Details to Apples: There are many details you could make. Keep apples on baking sheet. Pipe outlines of hearts onto apples. Let dry. Then return later to fill with chocolate. Mix colors. Use one color to outline then fill with another color. Place bottle back into pot of water.
Adding Sugar to Chocolate Apple
12. Adding Sugar to Wet Chocolate: This is from an early step, but I decided to add the picture here.
Adding Sugar to Wet Chocolate Heart
13. Add Colored Sugar to Wet Chocolate Heart: Since the semi-sweet or milk chocolate covering the apple is dry by now the sugar will only stick to the wet chocolate heart. Shake off excess sugar crystals. You can also add sugar to other details like arrows or piped letters.
Adding More Details to Apples
15. Add More Details: Be creative. Add any details you want, arrows, "X"s and "O"s for kisses and hugs, words, names, arrows, etc.
TIP: Make sure chocolate stays melted and runny. You may have to place the bottle in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds on 50% power. Squeeze the bottle together while still capped to work the chocolate.
Finished Caramel Chocolate Apples
Here are the final results!
Thank you for visiting our site. If you like it please share with your friends and relatives on Facebook using button below at bottom of page.
Back to Valentine's Homemade Treats
Chocolate Valentines Caramel Apples to Deluxe Sweets and Candy Gifts Home